How Brad Dell stood for Jesus this semester

Love conversations with college students. I enjoy hearing their hearts and being part of their hopes and dreams for the future. I also want college students to know that I am behind them as they daily confront a world that is becoming more hostile toward Christianity.  

One of these college students is Brad Dell. Over the years, Brad and I have had many conversations about dating, church, college life, history, journalism, philosophy and religion. Recently, Brad and I had a conversation about a class he took this semester at the University of Hawaii that really challenged his faith. I asked Brad to write me describing what that was like. Here is what Brad wrote:




"Earlier this semester, my Greek and Roman Mythology class challenged my faith in Christ. My professor, what you would call a "New Atheist," made it clear he was trying to intimidate Christians.

He would ask the class nearly every time we met to raise our hand if we were Christian and asked us why. He would then attempt to humiliate us by asking difficult questions that made us look stupid ("Would you sacrifice yourself for God? So you sacrifice yourself for something you have no physical proof of?"). 

Our professor also helps translate old Greek Bibles, so he has memorized loads of scripture. He would use the Bible against us by twisting meaning, taking things way out of context. For example, he would say half a verse and not the rest. He would also say incorrect things like Jesus never said he was the Messiah. If any of us tried to respond with scripture, he would cut us off.

It was just really humiliating when the whole class sat there, excited to watch the professor verbally crucify Christians. He was pretty honest about what he was doing, even saying that his favorite part of Roman history was "when Christians were eaten by lions in the Coliseum." 

At the beginning of the semester, half the class raised their hands when asked if they were Christian. By the end, only three including me. Plus my friend said she lost her faith in God because of the "evidence" the professor had. 

To my Greek and Roman Mythology professor, Christianity was just as fake as Zeus and Jupiter. I am not certain why he despises Christians so much.

 I focused on this verse, though: "If the world hates you, you know that it hated me before it hated you." (John 15.18) 

Despite all the professor threw at me, I had to remember that his words were of a hateful, worldly man. He was not seeking Truth, but was instead seeking to crush it. He did not want to believe, and he was intent on taking us down with him. 

Thankfully, my faith is still intact and more strong than ever. 

I know God wanted  me to go through this class and learn how lost we can be without Him in our life. I thank Him for honoring me and the privilege to be persecuted for His sake, and stand firm in the Gospel. It's the least I can do for Jesus. I pray that the professor finds that God can heal his broken heart, and that it's not to late for him to turn back to Him."

Brad Dell is a 2012 graduate of Mililani High School and currently a sophomore at UH majoring in journalism. Brad attends The Gathering in Mililani and is a youth leader, works with homeless ministry and serves in various ministries at the church. Brad sent me this email right before taking the final exam for this class. 

Comments